Operator - Fiber Tipping
Department: Fiber Tipping Room
Code: Job Code 320 | Department Code 150158
Report to: Packaging Supervisor
Effective Date: May 2021
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Hardwood Products Co. is a wholesale supplier of quality woodenware for the food industries. We offer ice cream sticks, corn dog sticks, wooden skewers, wooden toothpicks, wooden spoons, wooden utensils, wooden craft sticks and more. Our manufacturing plant is in Guilford, Maine and we are committed to providing retailers with the best wholesale pricing on our woodenware.
Our brands, Gold Bond® and Trophy™, are biodegradable woodenware items for dairy, foodservice, and craft applications. All our woodenware is made from Northern White Birch. This wood is chosen and milled for its light color, smooth surface, tight grain, and tensile strength. You can count on us for consistent quality and expect fast, friendly service.
The person in this role will operate a fiber tipping machine while observing, maintaining, and supporting the completion of all standard work processes.
Machine operators run and control machines and that are used in the manufacturing of single use swabs. Machine operators load raw materials (fiber, sticks, adhesive) onto machines and then monitor the production process. While running the machine, the operator monitors it closely to detect any signs of malfunctioning that may affect the quality of the finished swab. Machine operators perform inspections on swabs and finished goods ensuring that products meet all quality and packaging standards.
This position is based on shift work, nights, weekends, and overtime may be required.
- Effectively monitor production, inspection, packaging and machine operation
- Follow production requirements as outlined on BOM/Requisition.
- Complete all required manufacturing paperwork correctly and on time.
- Maintain a safe and clean workspace.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations.
- Perform basic product test for quality.
- Pays attention to finished product specification details.
- Observe, maintain, and support the completion of all standard work processes.
- Participate as an active member of the production assembly team.
Key Skills Required:
- Good documentation, writing, and communication skills
- Able to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Able to work as a team member.
- Able to perform repetitive tasks for extended periods.
- Able to follow and complete work instructions.
- Basic mathematics (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)
- Hearing Protection and Eye Protection must be worn to perform this role.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Vocational school training or apprenticeship preferred.
- On-the-job training offered.
- Prolonged periods of operating machinery.
- Able to work long periods including evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Prolonged periods working on feet, and performing repetitive actions that entail frequent bending and stooping.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
- Visual and Auditory acuity to read instructions, operate machines, and inspect parts produced.
Location: Hardwood Products, Guilford, ME.
Interested employees are required to complete the Hardwood Application.
Hardwood | Puritan is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement and advancement will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or military status, age, or any other federally protected class.